CoolSculpting® and liposuction are both body contouring procedures. Depending on your needs, one of these two procedures could be the perfect way to help you achieve your desired body shape. The following pros and cons of CoolSculpting® and liposuction can help you decide which treatment is best for you.
CoolSculpting® is a nonsurgical procedure that removes fat from the body over a period of time. During the treatment, controlled cooling technology freezes the fat cells. Over time, the body flushes the destroyed fat cells away. Results are unnoticeable at first but improve steadily, with the final results being seen several months after the treatment. The results are not as complete as liposuction, but CoolSculpting® is a good choice for someone who does not want to go through a surgical procedure or is not a candidate for surgery/anesthesia.
- Permanent fat removal
- Targeted body sculpting (but with limitations)
- Nonsurgical (no incisions)
- No downtime
- Relaxing treatment with minimal pain
- Side effects are usually minimal
- Results take a while
- Treatment areas are limited to the abdomen, love handles, hips, thighs, and neck
- Results are subtle (may require multiple treatments)
Liposuction is a surgical procedure that removes fat from the body for immediate results. During the treatment, fat cells are suctioned directly out of the body. The results are instant and improve steadily as the body contours smooth themselves out, with the final results viewable just a few months after treatment. This method is able to remove more fat cells than any other nonsurgical method.
- Permanent fat removal
- Targeted body sculpting (anywhere on the body)
- Results are immediately noticeable
- Scarring is usually minimal to nonexistent (only requires small incisions)
- Very high safety record
- A surgical procedure that requires an anesthetic
- Recovery takes several days to several weeks depending on how many areas are involved
- Can cause pain or discomfort
For both CoolSculpting® and liposuction, patients should have realistic expectations and be at or near their goal weight before receiving treatment. Fat removal is permanent with both treatments, and a healthy lifestyle is the best way to maintain the results.
If you are not sure which body contouring procedure is best for your needs, schedule a consultation with our board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Robert J. Spies. Dr. Spies can develop a treatment plan that will help you achieve the figure and body contours you desire. Call 480-359-1019 or complete our online contact form to request your consultation today.