Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT CAN I DO TO PREPARE MYSELF FOR THE SURGICAL PROCEDURE?
- Stop smoking for four (4) weeks before and after surgery. Smoking inhibits blood flow to the skin, and can interfere with the healing of your incision areas.
- Follow the doctor’s pre-treatment plan to prepare your skin.
- Avoid medications that the doctor advises may complicate surgery.
- Arrange for help at home as needed after surgery.
WILL INSURANCE COVER MY SURGERY?
Most insurance companies do not cover elective cosmetic procedures.
WHAT TYPE OF ANESTHESIA WILL I HAVE?
The type of anesthesia used depends on the surgical procedure being performed and the individual patient. Local anesthesia with intravenous sedation may be all that is needed in some cases. For others, general anesthesia is used which lets you sleep through the operation. In either case, you’ll remain very comfortable throughout the procedure.
WHAT ABOUT SCARS?
Dr. Spies makes every effort to make incisions as inconspicuous as possible and it’s important to realize that most scars fade in time.
- Breast enhancement scars are paced under the breast just above the crease or around the areola.
- Breast reduction and breast lift scars are extensive and permanent, located around the areola, below it, and in the crease under the breast. The incisions can usually be placed so that you can wear low-cut tops.
- Liposuction scars are small and strategically placed to be hidden from view.
- Tummy tuck scars are permanent, but will not show under most clothing, even under bathing suits.
- Facelift scars are usually hidden by your hair or in the natural creases of your face and ears. They fade in time and should be scarcely visible.
HOW SOON CAN I GO BACK TO WORK?
Again, this depends on the extent of the procedure and your individual healing process.
In general, you can expect to return to non-strenuous work according to the following timetable:
- Breast enhancement-within one week
- Breast reduction-in a couple weeks
- Liposuction-within a few days
- Tummy tuck-two to four weeks
- Facelift-10 days to two weeks
You’ll undoubtedly have many other questions that can’t be answered here. We are happy to answer all of your concerns and leave plenty of time in your appointment for that purpose. You will also leave with printed educational materials. Please call for an appointment.