May is when spring begins to turn into summer. It is also Skin Cancer Awareness Month. Both of these reasons are a perfect reminder to take the time to focus on ways to keep your skin healthy and prevent skin cancer. With the following tips and expert skin care products and treatments, you can maintain healthy skin, protect your skin from the sun, and lower your risk of developing skin cancer.
What Is Skin Cancer?
Skin cancer is when abnormal skin cells grow at uncontrolled rates, typically because of UV radiation from the sun. Unrepaired DNA damage to skin cells can trigger mutations that lead to rapid multiplication. These genetic defects can form malignant tumors that threaten your health and even your life.
Skin Care Prevention Tips
Tip 1: Reduce Sun Exposure and Wear Sunscreen
Ultraviolet rays from the sun are the primary cause of skin cancer, so you should reduce sun exposure as much as possible. Wear broad-spectrum (UVA and UVB) SPF 15 or higher sunscreen on a daily basis. During outdoor activities (especially at the pool or beach), wear broad-spectrum SPF 30 or higher sunscreen and reapply at least every two hours. Stick to the shade during the hottest parts of the day, and avoid burning. Wear sunglasses, a hat, and clothing that shields your skin when you spend extended hours outdoors.
Tip 2: Avoid Tanning
Avoid tanning and tanning booths. Since UV rays are a known carcinogen, both are proven to increase the risk of cancer.
Tip 3: Examine Your Skin
Examine your skin from head to toe once every month. Get a professional skin exam from your personal physician once a year. These habits can catch suspicious and precancerous skin lesions early on so that they can be removed and protect you from developing skin cancer.
Skin Care Treatments and Products
Keeping your skin healthy isn’t just about preventing skin cancer. By maintaining healthy skin, you can retain a more youthful appearance. The following products and treatments offered at our practice can revitalize your skin, treat sun damage, and protect against future skin damage.
- ZO® Skin Health and ZO® Medical: Dr. Zein Obagi, a leading authority in skin health, produces these products to maintain and protect healthy skin.
- iS Clinical®: broad-spectrum sunscreen protects the skin and prevents DNA damage and photoaging.
- EltaMD®: broad-spectrum sunscreen protects the skin against harmful UVA and UVB rays as a defense against skin cancer and premature aging.
- Intraceuticals: skin care products protect against dehydration that is caused by sun damage and aging.
- Photofacial: an advanced light treatment performed in the office renews and rejuvenates the skin for a youthful and healthy appearance.
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Robert Spies and Medical Aesthetician Kristina can offer you more personalized recommendations regarding skin cancer prevention, skin care, and anti-aging skin treatments. We provide many of these skin care products and treatments right here at the AZ Plastic Surgery Center. To request your consultation, call 480-359-1019 or complete our online contact form today.